James A. Nepple is the managing partner of Nepple Law, PLC, with offices in Rock Island, Illinois, and Davenport and Muscatine, Iowa. His primary areas of practice are taxation, estate planning, trust administration, probate matters, retirement plans, business entities, and non-profit organizations.
Jim received his undergraduate degree from Creighton University in 1967, his law degree (with distinction) from the University of Iowa in 1970, and his Master of Laws in Taxation degree from New York University in 1982. Jim is admitted to practice in Iowa and Illinois and is a member of the American, Iowa, Illinois, Rock Island County, Scott County, and Muscatine County Bar Associations. Prior experience includes a tax accountant position with the public accounting firm of Ernst & Young in Chicago, Illinois.
Mr. Nepple is an author and frequent speaker on taxation, estate planning, business entities, and retirement plans for the Tax Section and Real Property and Probate & Trust Section of the American Bar Association, American Agricultural Law Association, Law Education Institute, Illinois State Bar Association, Iowa State Bar Association, and Muscatine County Bar Association.
- “A” rated lawyer in the Martindale-Hubbell Law Directory
- Included in The Best Lawyers in America for Tax Law and Employee Benefits Law
- Listed in Illinois Super Lawyer
- Listed as a “Leading Illinois Attorney” under Trusts & Estate Planning Law, Tax Law, and Small Business Law
- Fellow of the American College of Trust and Estate Counsel; serves on both its employee benefits in estate planning committee and its business planning committee
- Fellow of the Illinois and Iowa State Bar Foundations
- Fellow of the American Bar Foundation
Recommended by peers as a Leading Lawyer in:
- Closely & Privately Held Business Law
- Employee Benefits Law
- Tax Law: Business
- Tax Law: Individual
Extensive experience in:
- Trusts & Estate Planning
- Non-Profit Entities
- Employment & Retirement Law
Current groups and organizations:
- Member of the American Bar Association
- Member of Iowa State Bar Association
- Member of Illinois State Bar Association
- Member of the Muscatine County Bar Association
- Member of the Estate and Gift Committee of the Tax Section
- Member of the American Bar Association’s Real Property Probate and Trust Section and the Business Law Section
- Member of the Institute of Illinois Business Law
Past member of:
- Past Chair of the American Bar Association’s Business Cooperatives and Agricultural Tax Committee of the Tax Section;
- Past Chair of the Illinois Bar Association’s Business Advice and Financial Planning Section Council;
- Past Chair of the Illinois Bar Associations’ Federal Taxation Section Council;
- Past Chair of the Taxation Section of the Iowa State Bar Association;
- Past President of Quad City Estate Planning Council;
- Past Chair of the Iowa Association of Business and Industry’s Tax Committee;
- Current Vice-Chair of the Illinois Bar Association’s Employee Benefits Section Council.
- Junior Achievement – has received both the Bronze and Silver National Leadership Awards;
- Past President of the local Chamber of Commerce, country club, Kiwanis club, and the Iowa Historical Foundation;
- Trustee of the State Historical Society for eight years during construction and raising of funds for the new Iowa Historical Museum and has received two Iowa Governor’s Volunteer Awards, one for Economic Development and one for Cultural Affairs.